Friday, June 18, 2021

What's Your Money Story? - Worth

My father did not go to college, and my mother went to Louisiana State University—together they brought up five children and instilled in us the importance of hard work and frugality. When I started college, I remember my father asking, "How does $3 a day sound for your entertainment, food and everything else?" I said, "Sure."

Once I began my studies at Emory University, I realized fairly quickly that $3 per day would not be enough to make ends meet. To make a few extra dollars, I began working part-time with my college's admissions office as a campus tour guide. That is one of my first Money Stories.

logo
Publisher: Worth
Date: 2021-06-17T18:15:06 00:00
Twitter: @worthmag
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Dear Annie: Our money, or 'her money,' husband wants wife to pool resources - oregonlive.com

My problem is this. All the years when I was the sole breadwinner, my salary was "our money." Now that she makes the lion's share, her salary is "her money." She expects me to pay my expenses with my own salary. For instance, I recently had an expensive car repair done. She spotted me the cash, but she wants me to pay her back. Never mind the fact that for a long time my car was our only car, and she put half the miles and wear and tear on it herself.

I just feel like I was taken advantage of -- like she has forgotten the sacrifices I made all those years ago. It really makes me resentful. I've mentioned this to her before, and she got better about it for a bit, but now her attitude has reverted back to how it was before I'd mentioned something.

Publisher: oregonlive
Date: 2021-06-18T23:00:00.407Z
Author: AnnieLane
Twitter: @oregonlive
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Don't Waste Your Money: Oil Change Damage

You bring your car to the shop for an oil change and you assume they do the job right. But what if something goes wrong as you are driving away, are they responsible?

Crystal Wheeler will never forget what happened while she was driving home the other day. “I was terrified,” Wheeler said. She said she had just gotten the oil changed when her hood flew up as she was getting onto the highway. “I’m like I gotta get off this highway, and my daughter is screaming,” Wheeler said.

logo
Publisher: ABC27
Date: 2021-06-18T21:54:14 00:00
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Smart About Money: Helping a Friend | Canton Citizen

I recently heard about a woman who was planning to retire in the next year or two. A family member had asked if she would tap her retirement savings to help them pay some large credit card bills.

At the other end of the spectrum, the "Millennial Money" column in a recent Kiplinger's Personal Finance addressed the issue from the perspective of Millennials who are decades away from retirement. The question was: "Should you help a friend in need?"

logo
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Money, power, scandal: The PSERS saga, explained | WITF

The days of journalism’s one-way street of simply producing stories for the public have long been over. Now, it’s time to find better ways to interact with you and ensure we meet your high standards of what a credible media organization should be.

Under FBI investigation, Pennsylvania's $64 billion public school pension fund sought to backtrack on previous disclosures that staffers were working on both sides of real estate dealings.

logo
Publisher: WITF
Date: 2021-06-18T12:05:00
Twitter: @witfnews
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



From the Heart to Higher Education: The 2021 College Essays on Money - The New York Times

Each year, we ask high school seniors to send us college application essays that touch on money, work or social class. Here are five from this year's incoming college freshmen.

When the most selective — or, even better, rejective — schools in the United States are accepting under 10 percent of the people pleading for a spot in the next freshman class, it eventually becomes impossible to know why any one person receives an offer, or why a student chooses a particular school.

Date: 2021-06-18T09:00:33.000Z
Twitter: @nytimes
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



GOP State Leaders Fight Biden Over COVID-19 Relief Funds : NPR

President Joe Biden takes questions from reporters as he speaks about the American Rescue Plan, in the State Dining Room of the White House, Wednesday, May 5, in Washington. Evan Vucci/AP hide caption

In the last few weeks, the Biden administration began distributing an unprecedented amount of money to states: $195 billion dollars from the American Rescue Plan that congressional Democrats passed in March.

With the sheer scale of dollars at stake, a huge fight has already begun brewing between some GOP-led states and the administration over exactly how to use that money, part of a larger trend of partisan warfare between state capitols and Washington over the past decade.

logo
Publisher: NPR.org
Date: 2021-06-18
Twitter: @NPR
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Money Matters: Retirement Saving Comes in Two Flavors

I have recently been hired for my first full-time position. The company is offering a 401(k) plan, but I also have a separate Roth IRA. Which one should I prioritize maxing out first?—Calla from Hawaii

Congrats on the new gig. I'm going to use you as a shining example that it's never too early to save for retirement.

To answer your question, those sweet, sweet tax benefits of 401(k) and IRA retirement plans come in two flavors: traditional and Roth.

Publisher: Morning Brew
Twitter: @MorningBrew
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Cramer's Mad Money Recap: Amazon, AMD, FedEx - TheStreet

In the stock market, words are sometimes more important than actions, Jim Cramer told his Mad Money viewers Friday. That's how the Federal Reserve is able to tamp down inflation just by talking about raising interest rates. Between the Fed and the seasonal weakness between now and the July 4th holiday, Cramer said we're in for a rough week next week.

When it comes to the Fed, Wall Street has always been afraid of its shadow. That's why stocks sold off at the mere mention of interest rate hikes that are still at least a year away. But while the impulse to react is strong when the selling starts, Cramer told viewers to sit back, relax and do nothing. That's because historically, the last week in June is horrible for stocks, and there will be still more fallout from the Fed early in the week.

logo
Publisher: TheStreet
Date: 2021-06-19T00:24:06Z
Author: Scott Rutt
Twitter: @thestreet
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



4 tips for saving money on Amazon Prime day

We are just a few days away from summer's online Black Friday. Amazon Prime Day started a shopping sale war with Walmart, Target, Kohls and other retailers announcing competing deal days.

KPRC 2 consumer expert Amy Davis is going to show you how to narrow down the deals that are sent to you along with the top three things all parents should consider buying during the deal days.

Davis spoke to busy mom blogger Jamie Stippel , who is making her list and checking it twice ahead of the summer deal days ahead.

Publisher: KPRC
Date: 2021-06-18T11:39:04.545Z
Author: Amy Davis Andrea Slaydon
Twitter: @KPRC
Reference: (Read more) Visit Source



Happening on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment